Monday, January 28, 2008

Let's Talk About Adam Vinatieri, Shall We???

Because I have an awesome wife, who ordered me the NFL Network on our cable...I have just finished watching the 2003 Superbowl, when the Patriots won their second Lombardi Trophy, against the Carolina Panthers. And for the second time, it was won by Vinitieri's leg. After he had already missed a "pooch punt" field goal, and had his next one blocked (not his fault), he kicked the game-winner, with a couple of seconds left in the game. Vinatieri really was such a staple of this team. And I'm by no means "knocking" Stephen Gastkowski...but this year, with Brady's arm, and all the target's he's had to throw at, he just hasn't had all that many opportunities to "shine".

My Cousin, Michael, had a chance to have a guided tour of Gillette stadium, guided by Johnathan Kraft. And during the day, he got to not only meet Adam Vinitieri, but Adam gave him an autograph for Michael's daughter.

Should this change my view of him?

Well...it doesn't.

I've always liked Adam Vinitieri, and when he left the Patriots to go to the Colts...I didn't jump on the "We Now Hate You" bandwagon. Would I have liked for him to have stayed with the Patriots? Of course! But he's a man...a person...someone who provides for his family, and makes career choices that will benefit him, and his family. Like the rest of us. I never liked the fact that he switched to the Colts. But I've always liked him.

Now...I'll be honest...Have I NOT taken a bit a pleasure in the fact that Vinitieri has NOT performed anywhere near as well for the Colts as he did for the Patriots??? I'd lie if I said it didn't make me smile (Johnny Damon, anyone???). But I've always liked Adam as a player, and will always like him, no matter who he plays for.

Agree with me. Disagree with me. But he's been a great kicker in his time in the NFL.

No comments: